Disasters, Natural or artificial, are almost inevitable. A disaster will happen and can disrupt your whole life, your home, and your family sooner or later. A home emergency plan is a requirement to protect you and your family.
What is a Home Emergency Plan?
Home emergency plans are plans of action to be followed by you and your family if a disaster strikes. An emergency can create a create panic and fear, which can affect the ability to decide. A home emergency plan can help you overcome your fear and rationalize in the event of a calamity.
Home Emergency Plan How it will Help Me?
Planning for such a catastrophe is difficult, but your chances of survival will increase with a home emergency plan. Planning for a disaster will help you with:
- What are your alternatives when an earthquake, a tsunami, a hurricane, or a flood hits your area?
- What supplies do you need during and after a disaster?
- What are the duties of each family member during such an event?
- Who will be responsible for maintaining the survival kits and emergency supplies?
- When to switch off your utilities to prevent further damage and fire?
- How and who will keep the communication devices and radio?
- What will become of your pets?
- How will you contact the local emergency services?
- Who will be responsible for the documents and insurance papers?
- What sort of Insurance Plan can provide maximum coverage, and when to buy insurance protection?
Disasters usually cut off communication, destroy the road, and disturb your capability to migrate yourself. A plan will help you decide on your getaways, food and water, and all the essentials; that you require until the emergency service arrives.
How can i make an effective home emergency plan?
Preparing for a disaster can start at different points. Better Insurance has compiled a list of tips that will help you create an efficient home emergency plan. We will also suggest sign-up for FEMA, which will provide you training and survival gear in case of a disaster in your area.
Follow the below mentioned steps and tips to devise an effective Home Emergency Plan for you and your family.
Recommended: Dallas Cyber Liability Insurance
1. Knowledge of Disasters in Your Area:
Every state in the US is affected by a different type and category of calamity. For instance, California will suffer from wildfires, but Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas have tornados. Every kind of disaster has different effects; tornados rip apart the houses and the streets, Wildfires burn everything down. The knowledge of your area, weather, and the information on disasters that occurred in the past; helps devise a plan.
Information regarding your area will make you aware of the ways to the exits and the communications lines. It will tell you where you can get your supplies and equipment. The main advantage is that you can prepare yourself for a particular disaster and plan accordingly for insurance coverage and protection from damages.
2. Pack an Emergency Survival Kit:
Now you know what disaster you can expect in the coming future. you can now prepare your emergency survival kit that you take with you if you have to leave home suddenly. The emergency survival kit must include the following items:
- You must keep a First aid kit and necessary medicines such as insulin and heart medication. You can check your first aid kits every month for expiration dates and completeness.
- Flashlights with extra batteries.
- Extra chargers for your phone. Preferably solar chargers and power banks.
- Three days supply for your water and food. Preferably protein bars as they occupy less space and have better nutritious value.
- Maps of the area must be with you all the time. GPS and internet services might not work during the onslaught.
- You can keep some necessary tools like pliers, screwdrivers, and can openers.
- You can keep Adequate toiletries for sanitization purposes.
- You must keep your important documents and insurance papers.
FEMA can help you guide better on the provision to have during a disaster.
3. Keep your house prepared:
During a natural disaster, your lights can go out, and you can face a shortage of gas, fuel, and food supplies. It is better to be prepared and have back up plans for such instances.
You can have generators or small inverters powering the house. You can maintain a small fuel reservoir at your home; for keeping fuel for your vehicle, generator, and other equipment. You can store a sufficient amount of food at your home for you and your family. You can have a tank to store water for drinking and sanitation.
All these extra supplies will help you pass the days till the emergency service working in your area reach you. One more important thing to keep safe is your documents, bank details, and insurance papers. You can keep them in proper storage where water and fire can damage them.
4. Keep information about the outside world:
You are stuck inside your home during an onslaught. You need to have information about the outside. Information about any danger and the arrival of rescue services is necessary. You can always keep the radio and keep your mobile phone charged; to receive any message or rescue information. Emergency services usually broadcast messages over the radio, and your mobile phone will help you communicate with these services and your other family and friends.
5. Follow the Official and Authorities:
Rescue officials and authorities are responsible for keeping you safe. Following their instructions help to increase the chances of your survival and rescue. Officials can ask you to stay at home and do not wander outside follow them. They can ask you to save your food and water and reach a particular location using a described path to follow their guidelines. Following official guidelines ensure your safety.
6. Sign Up for Home Emergency Training and Bulletins:
You can take up a training course with your family; for survival in any disaster in your area. Social security and local governments provide such training. This training will help you overcome fears and train your mind to think in case of emergencies.
7. Keep an eye for any warnings and announcements:
With the advancement in technology, Authorities are now able to issue warnings for incoming disasters and calamities. Authorities broadcast these warnings and announcements via Television, Radio, Social Media, and your local Church, Mosque, or Synagogue. Always be alert and keep an eye on any warnings issued. Inform your close family and friends immediately if there is an announcement and execute your home emergency plan.
8. Do not fall for rumors and Do not Panic:
Some people spread rumors among the people, which may create panic. Panic has caused violent outrages in the past. Work for the Rescue and assistance services becomes arduous when people are panic and do not follow official guidelines. Always follow all rescue information provided by the governments. And never fall for the rumors spread to disrupt the rescue operation.
9. Protect and Ensure:
Prevention has always been better than cure. Start preparing early before the disasters hit you. Purchase insurance plans for your property, your home, vehicle, and other assets. Purchase life insurance for yourself for the protection of your family. Always summarize lists of your bank account details and balances, your insurance details, and other relevant documents. Keep these documents in safe custody.
Online apps on your mobile phone from your bank and insurance company will help maintain an online record of the details. Always keep this data in both hard and soft copy forms.
10. Prepare Now:
Why delay anything that can save your life when the time comes? Start home emergency planning now. Download the emergency planning formats that are now available online. An efficiently devised home emergency plan will have much better results. Designate duties and meeting places. Decide who will switch off which utility in case of evacuation. Assign responsibilities to each family member and practice often. Write down the plan in understandable language so everybody can read.
Also, You can include in your home emergency plans to check for any leakage of gases and fuel, short circuits, and water damage to your house for the sake of safety.
Better Insurance provides specifically designed Home Insurance Plans for the protection and repairs to your home in circumstances of a natural disaster. Our home insurance plans provide you with multiple options to mitigate the risk of damages at affordable costs. Reach out to us for further guidance on what insurance plans you should purchase for your home.